On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 4:43 PM Kerim Aydin <ke...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> > On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 4:27 PM Ørjan Johansen <oer...@nvg.ntnu.no>
> wrote:
> > > I don't think there's anything preventing the Zombie from stating the
> > > intent and the master supporting.  Which e would have had to do anyway,
> > > since you can only appoint _another_ player to Speaker by this
> mechanism.
>
> That depends.  Intent is only defined after-the-fact (did someone announce
> intent earlier?) which implies that it's simply a message.  That matters
> because of this (R2466):
> >             in particular, a person CANNOT act on behalf of another
> >      person to send a message, only to perform specific actions that
> >      might be taken within a message.
> Is announcing intent a message, or an action taken within a message?

I disagree. Announcing intent is an action by definition, and a game action
because the game looks at it.

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2018, Aris Merchant wrote:
> > Okay, I've had enough of this. Zombies break too much of the ruleset.
>
> These issues with act-on-behalf are the only thing that make the whole
> mess of useless contract-language currently in the rules have any
> interest - I'd appreciate being able to see how these work (issues like
> the above) using the zombie testbed.
>
> > They most definitely should not be appointing people Speaker.
>
> Being able to appoint a Speaker w/1 support is an awfully low bar -
> maybe that's the real problem here.

I've been thinking about it. I kinda agree, but on the other hand there are
advantages. We never would have pulled off that making Trigon Speaker
before e even noticed thing with a high bar, and that's a nice thing to
have. I've thought of two sensible thing to do to harden that requirement.
First, we could make it with three support, which is a fairly low bar. But
it is a bar, so I don't really like that. The second one, which I'd prefer,
is to make it dependent on karma. Making it just the top person is too
boring though. How about requiring the appointed person to be one of the
top three eligible (i.e. neither PM nor Speaker).

-Aris