Listen, I also regret the way I handled land. Q*Bert was proposed
after two weeks of no land auctions because people with the assets to
make meaningful changes weren't doing so. I had no way to know that o
was going to go on a journey to explore the edges of the map and, in
the process, create land units that would belong to Agora for the rest
of the subgame.

Maybe I was going about it wrong. I accept that. I thought that there
was going to be an ownership-based win condition, and that Q*Bert
would supply a constant source for new land units. It was intended to
supplement the core, not distract from it.

Furthermore, the land system introduced in the original PAoaM
proposals was a simplified version of the one that existed at the end
of the land mechanic's life. I was planning on the squabble for
ownership to build facilities being the core and then I would propose
the rest of the ideas later in little chunks. I thought that my core
was already simple enough and that the extra proposals would be the
stuff that needed to be playtested.

This was not the best way to handle it, I will admit that. But you
have to understand my reasoning. After PAoaM, I have a completely
different outlook on subgames. If I ever propose more, let's hope I
learn from it. But don't berate current me for mistakes past me has
made.

Now, I've had time to think about what you said about core gameplay
and expansions and all that. I have come to the conclusion that I
agree. I was hasty in proposing extra mechanics to add on to the core.
I have no problem with what twg's doing, proposing some of my ideas as
separate proposals to be submitted in a week or two. My point is that,
in it's current state, I am not planning on playing space. Once the
core is supplemented with interesting mechanics to help make it more
fun to play, sure. But right now? I just really don't think I'd enjoy
it.

(the responses to this email will be so much fun to read.)

--
Trigon