I think you're right about the first sentence. I believe it made more sentence in v0, where there was some context about defining actions. The intent was to basically say that, when a binding entity creates an action (either by explicit definition, or by describing its properties), it "owns" that action, and nothing else can tamper with the binding entity's description of it.

It's very possible that the wording does not fit the intent. Would adding this wording (similar to some wording from v0) make it any better?

   When a binding entity purports to explicitly define or to describe
   the properties of an action, it defines an action that is distinct
   from all other actions; the binding entity is said to "define" this
   created action.

(feel free to bikeshed the use of the word "define", "own" might actually work better here)

This has the side effect of ensuring that a contract cannot define the natural language action of "breathing", it can only create a new action, even if that action is "to breathe".

As for the second sentence, that might have become dead code in the shrinkage, I'll double check and then strike it if it is.

Jason Cobb