On 2/9/2020 7:18 PM, Edward Murphy via agora-discussion wrote:
> Falsifian wrote:
>
>>     1b. Agora's nature as a broadcast email list seems to put limits on
>>         how many active players it can practically sustain. If 100
>>         players were all sending interesting proposals and arguments and
>>         so on, it would be impractical for anyone to keep up. I'm not
>>         claiming to remove this limitation outright, but I do believe
>>         that having a system in place for summarizing information has
>>         the potential to increase the manageable rate of participation.
>>         Maybe the weekly summaries can be a beginning.
>
> We did once get a bunch more registrations from a Slashdot bump, I'd
> guess from this post:
> https://developers.slashdot.org/story/05/04/14/1643251/perlnomic---an-experiment-in-cooperative-coding
> (though the Registrar history doesn't bear that out). I don't think it
> ever got close to 100 (not counting corporate persons) but I want to say
> it was up in the 30-50 range for a year or so.

That slashdot bump was how I found this place, and I registered right
afterwards, so it was a little before 04-Feb-01.  IIRC Agora was mentioned
in a comment on a story on cooperative games or something, so it was just
a minor mention.  There were I'd say a dozen of us or so from that bump,
but the uptick brought some old players out (e.g. Lindrum).  A registrar's
report I just glanced at from July 2001 shows 33 players (5 of them zombies).

-G.