On Tue, 26 May 2020 at 23:18, nch via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 6:10:25 PM CDT James Cook via agora-discussion wrote:
> > One nitpick: I'm not sure how to read the last two dates. I can infer
> > it's not day/month/year but not sure if there are year-month-day
> > conventions that use slashes.
>
> They are in MM/DD/YY format, which is common in the US (under the argument
> that it mirrors the way people tend to say dates IE "May 26 2020" = 05/26/20.
> I'll make the years 4 digits, but I'm indifferent to the order overall as long
> as it's clear.

Sure, that's fine.

The argument you give is language-dependent. When I was in school in
Canada I think the convention was DD/MM/YY which makes sense in
French, but is confusing when you're right beside a MM/DD/YY country.
I think Mandarin dates are almost literally said as YYYY-MM-DD. Agora
is an English-speaking community, but I think it's good to aspire to
more portable dates.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_and_time_notation_in_Canada
Canada now recommends YYYY-MM-DD (yay!) but it also says
year/month/day is used for shelf life.

I personally like YYYY-MM-DD because the endianness is consistent
(largest-to-smallest both within the numbers and overall) and also
because lexicographic sorting means sorting by date.

- Falsifian