On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 6:29:26 PM CDT James Cook via agora-discussion wrote:
> On Tue, 26 May 2020 at 23:18, nch via agora-discussion
>
> <agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 6:10:25 PM CDT James Cook via agora-discussion
wrote:
> > > One nitpick: I'm not sure how to read the last two dates. I can infer
> > > it's not day/month/year but not sure if there are year-month-day
> > > conventions that use slashes.
> >
> > They are in MM/DD/YY format, which is common in the US (under the argument
> > that it mirrors the way people tend to say dates IE "May 26 2020" =
> > 05/26/20. I'll make the years 4 digits, but I'm indifferent to the order
> > overall as long as it's clear.
>
> Sure, that's fine.
>
> The argument you give is language-dependent. When I was in school in
> Canada I think the convention was DD/MM/YY which makes sense in
> French, but is confusing when you're right beside a MM/DD/YY country.
> I think Mandarin dates are almost literally said as YYYY-MM-DD. Agora
> is an English-speaking community, but I think it's good to aspire to
> more portable dates.
>
> According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_and_time_notation_in_Canada
> Canada now recommends YYYY-MM-DD (yay!) but it also says
> year/month/day is used for shelf life.
>
> I personally like YYYY-MM-DD because the endianness is consistent
> (largest-to-smallest both within the numbers and overall) and also
> because lexicographic sorting means sorting by date.
>
> - Falsifian

I'm aware of all these arguments and at one point would have endorsed them.
However I've generally over time come to the conclusion that idiosyncrasy,
which expresses culture and identity, has as much (or more) value as
standardization does. Thus, I'm not inclined to change the way I express
something unless there's a pragmatic benefit.

--
nch