On 6/19/20 9:44 PM, Aris Merchant via agora-discussion wrote:
> I think we need a free way of pending patch proposals. The voters appear to
> agree with me. I know some prominent and respected voices disagree, but the
> proposal passed, so clearly public sentiment presently favors something
> along these lines.

I agree with free patch proposals, but I'm not sure it's right to say
that "the voters" do:

> PROPOSAL 8424 (Certifiable Patches)
> CLASS: ORDINARY
> CHAMBER: LEGISLATION
> FOR (5): Aris&, Cuddle Beam, Falsifian, Jason&, Publius Scribonius
> Scholasticus
> AGAINST (5): G., R. Lee, Tcbapo, nch, twg
> PRESENT (2): ATMunn, Trigon^
> BALLOTS: 12
> AI (F/A): 23/15 (AI=1.0)
> POPULARITY: 0.000
> OUTCOME: ADOPTED

This only passed at AI 1 because of office interests, and it means any
change besides just repealing the rule has a decent chance of failing.

> However, the mechanism I proposed might have been messy. There are
> alternative ideas that would cause fewer CFJs. This gets a bit logistically
> interesting though because it's preferable for any such mechanism to be a)
> fast, and b) discourage abuse. Unfortunately, those things go against each
> other. This is why I suggested a criminal mechanism, which punishes abuse
> after the fact. The obvious alternative is a dependent action. 2 Agoran
> Consent works pretty well as a cure to abuse of anything. It also takes 4
> days, which is too long for patches IMO. That leaves with N support. The
> problem with actions taken with N support is that you've gotta pick a value
> of N that is high enough to stop a cabal of taking advantage of it and low
> enough to be easily achievable. That being said, something like with 5
> support backed by a SHOULD might do it.

Fair points on dependent actions. I think this is a reasonable
application of indictments, so I'm tempted to suggest leaving it be and
seeing what happens for now.

> A final solution, which I'm tossing in mostly as a joke, would be to just
> take the once a week limitation off my emergency pending powers.

I... wouldn't be opposed to this. It seems like a reasonable office
perk/responsibility (backed by the threat of appropriate punishment for
abuse).

--
Jason Cobb