On 2020-06-19 19:44, Aris Merchant via agora-discussion wrote:
I think we need a free way of pending patch proposals. The voters appear to
agree with me. I know some prominent and respected voices disagree, but the
proposal passed, so clearly public sentiment presently favors something
along these lines.

However, the mechanism I proposed might have been messy. There are
alternative ideas that would cause fewer CFJs. This gets a bit logistically
interesting though because it's preferable for any such mechanism to be a)
fast, and b) discourage abuse. Unfortunately, those things go against each
other. This is why I suggested a criminal mechanism, which punishes abuse
after the fact. The obvious alternative is a dependent action. 2 Agoran
Consent works pretty well as a cure to abuse of anything. It also takes 4
days, which is too long for patches IMO. That leaves with N support. The
problem with actions taken with N support is that you've gotta pick a value
of N that is high enough to stop a cabal of taking advantage of it and low
enough to be easily achievable. That being said, something like with 5
support backed by a SHOULD might do it.

A final solution, which I'm tossing in mostly as a joke, would be to just
take the once a week limitation off my emergency pending powers.

Or, of course, we could just repeal it. A repeal does remove the problem,
though at the cost of also removing a mechanism that we've collectively
agreed is a good idea.

Thoughts?

I think it's good to have free patch proposals, but I don't really like the huge penalty of the current version. I feel like a much more balanced system would be a simple dependent action thing. Like someone can make their proposal a patch with some support or without some objections or both. There don't have to be restrictions on what patch proposals are about as long as people agree that it's meant to fix something. Maybe we can even exempt patch proposals from popularity and rewards to make sure they're truly for the public good.

--
Trigon

Treasuror of Agora; Former Speaker (twice), Rulekeepor (12 months) and Cartographor (8 months) of Agora; Champion of Agora by High Score and Proposal; Bearer of the Badge of the Salted Earth; Founder of the League of Agorans Facilitating Effective Recordkeeping; Arcadian Revivalist; Sixth-Longest Continually Registered Player of Agora; Player and former Emperor of BlogNomic; Player, Book-keeper, and Originator of the Metaruleset of Infinite Nomic; Contributor to the nomic.club wiki and the Talk:Nomic page on Wikipedia.