Forest Sweeney via agora-discussion [2023-04-25 18:45]:
> Agoran Mafia brought up a problem that comes by Agora now and again: The
> problem of someone needing a "special role" in order to participate in a
> tournament that requires secrecy (EG Mafia). I wanted to share my solution,
> as this isn't the first time I've heard this problem in Agora.
>
> In this specific scenario, for Mafia, what if the herald wanted to play?
> Who would distribute the secret roles? What power would be conferred by
> requiring to distribute the roles? The solution to this is non-obvious.
> Even with 2 players working together to distribute secret roles, there is
> still some power conferred to at least one of them. However, with 3
> players, there is a solution!
>
> Let's call these 3 players 4st, nix, and cat, and we also have a list of
> roles we want to distribute perfectly randomly, in a way that no one of the
> three gets some potential personal advantage by their role in the process.
>
> FIRST, 4st can encrypt the roles (all using the same key), and cut each
> encrypted string down the center (optionally numbering them by which role
> it was from). 4st then gives the first halves to nix, and the second halves
> to cat.
>
> THEN, Nix and cat then agree on a distribution of each half to one of the
> players who are playing (including nix, cat, and 4st), so that each half
> gets matched with its original. All players now have 1 full encrypted
> string (except 4st, who has all of them, and one that cat and nix sent em.)
>
> FINALLY, 4st tells everyone the secret key to decrypt the encrypted
> strings.
>
> 4st does NOT know who has which half(ves), and so, cannot determine who has
> any role other than eir own.
> Nix only has front halves, except for the second half cat sent em, and
> similarly for cat.
> Thus, no player has undue knowledge about any other players' role by this
> distribution method, and the distribution of roles is completely random
> (unless a cabal of nix and cat occurs, of course, since they'd know who had
> which half, and they'd have all the halves to decode it.)
>

> (I feel like I should submit THIS as a thesis instead)

Or we just have everyone draw a random number that tells them what is
their role.

(Btw, I also appreciate the beauty in a cryptographic scheme that doesn't
require trust (on other's intentions or competence), but also recognize
that Agora has a tradition of using trust-based schemes, which are much
easier to implement, and certainly so via email)

--
juan