On 5/20/23 23:30, Janet Cobb wrote:
>> In rule 2618, amend
>> {{{
>> A consenting player CAN, by announcement, grant a specified entity a
>> promise, specifying its text and becoming its creator.
>> }}}
>> {{{
>> A Raybot or a consenting player CAN, by announcement, grant a specified
>> entity a promise, specifying its text and becoming its creator.
>> }}}
>> [It's an interesting philosophical question as to whether Raybots can
>> consent to things, so avoid the issue by making it possible for Raybots
>> to create promises by announcement even if they don't consent to them.
>> For what it's worth, rule 2519(3) means that the Raybot probably is
>> consenting, but it's better to make it clear.]
> What happens to such promises when the Raybot ceases to exist?

Actually, in general persons ceasing to exist is likely to cause
problems, and the current ruleset is careful to avoid it (R869/51's "is
or ever was"; you remain an Agoran person after you die).

I'm not sure there's a good solution here. Having disabled Raybots just
sit around doing nothing isn't ideal. Auditing the whole ruleset for
issues caused by this is probably good to do anyway but error-prone (and
future proposals are reasonably likely to introduce new problems).

--
Janet Cobb

Assessor, Rulekeepor, S​tonemason