On Sun, May 21, 2023 at 1:01 PM ais523 via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2023-05-20 at 23:43 -0400, Janet Cobb via agora-discussion wrote:
> > Actually, in general persons ceasing to exist is likely to cause
> > problems, and the current ruleset is careful to avoid it (R869/51's "is
> > or ever was"; you remain an Agoran person after you die).
> >
> > I'm not sure there's a good solution here. Having disabled Raybots just
> > sit around doing nothing isn't ideal. Auditing the whole ruleset for
> > issues caused by this is probably good to do anyway but error-prone (and
> > future proposals are reasonably likely to introduce new problems).
>
> We've had artificial persons in the past, and they ceased to exist with
> no real issues. That predated Promises, which probably need a fix to
> cease to exist when their creator does.

When you say "no real issues", IIRC we had to think really carefully
about things like rights, and repeal parts of R101 guaranteeing rights
to persons before we "destroyed" artificial persons, then put it back.
Someone might make a slight case that "Persons" are the core of the
game in the current R101 (though that's really a stretch) and
interestingly, reading the rule on Banning, we could probably Ban
artificial persons - a "runaway bot" should something like that ever
exist seems to meet some of the banning criteria of "the person's
actions have been deemed harmful to Agora".

While I haven't been following the Raybots proposal, I think the main
issues were learned from zombies - there's lots of things (like having
your bot support your own tabled action announcement) that need to be
strictly off-limits for bots in general - the zombie nerf list from a
couple years back is worth a cross reference if that hasn't been done
already.

-G.