On Sat, 2023-05-20 at 23:43 -0400, Janet Cobb via agora-discussion wrote:
> Actually, in general persons ceasing to exist is likely to cause
> problems, and the current ruleset is careful to avoid it (R869/51's "is
> or ever was"; you remain an Agoran person after you die).
>
> I'm not sure there's a good solution here. Having disabled Raybots just
> sit around doing nothing isn't ideal. Auditing the whole ruleset for
> issues caused by this is probably good to do anyway but error-prone (and
> future proposals are reasonably likely to introduce new problems).

We've had artificial persons in the past, and they ceased to exist with
no real issues. That predated Promises, which probably need a fix to
cease to exist when their creator does.

The main potential issue I could think of is "what happens to a CFJ if
its judge ceases to exist", but it turns out that there's a specific
allowance for that in rule 991 (the nonexistent person remains assigned
as the judge). Likewise, rule 649 allows non-persons to bear patent
titles (oddly, it even allows non-persons to be *awarded* patent
titles). According to the FLR annotations, we were fixing bugs with
loss-of-personhood as recently as 2020, so it's historically been
considered desirable to have rules that make sense in that context.

I checked every use of "person" in the rules to find uses that might
cause issues:

* Rule 1742 - what happens to a contract if a party ceases to exist?
* Rule 2659 - stamps - already addressed in my proto
* Rule 2644 - lockout on Stone win condition ends early if the
  winner ceases to exit - probably not going to matter in practice
* Rule 2464 - tournaments have no Gamemaster if their creator is no
  longer a person, but work just fine in that state
* Rule 869 - playerhood - already addressed in my proto
* Rule 1023 - definition of "round" - may need fixing, although the
  definition is used only to fix the First Speaker rule, which
  wouldn't be affected
* Rule 1728 - if an officer tabls an intent as an official action of
  their office, then ceases to be a person, the new officer can't
  then resolve the intent if it's an action without objection:
  potentially buggy, but unlikely to be a major issue in practice
* Rule 2530 - potentially weird if a proposal's coauthor ceases to
  be a person, we might want to reinforce that (although I don't
  think anything is actually breakable there)
* Rule 2493 - regulations - the definitions here break if the
  promulgator of a regulation ceases to be a person, although I don't
  think that causes any actual rules to break as a consequence
* Rule 2127 - conditional votes - an attempt to endorse a voter breaks
  if the voter ceases to be a person (even though the non-person's vote
  is still valid)
* Rule 2210 - self-ratification - not broken, only persons can CoE but
  the CoE remains valid even if the CoEer ceases to be a person
* Rule 2478 - investigation of infractions - potentially broken, could
  most simply be fixed by allowing Favoritism towards non-players
* Rule 991 - CFJs - judgehood works fine, but recusal is broken

Probably the best approach here is to ensure that loss-of-personhood
works: it's something that used to happen at Agora all the time (there
have been many eras where a couple of conspiring players could create
and destroy an legal-fiction person pretty much at will, and the rules
used to use the terminology "first-class person" and "second-class
person" so that the legal fnctions could be easily identified). I
suspect that regardless of how Raybots goes, it's worth a big fix
proposal to make sure that loss of personhood is something that the
rule can handle.

This does make me think that something like the Raybots proposal is
worthwhile, though: the best way to ensure that the ruleset can handle
loss of personhood is to make sure it's something that regularly gets
tested, thus incentivising us to fix the bugs in it. (The proposal's
inspiration came from the direction of "legal-fiction persons would be
interesting to have again and we haven't had them for a while, can we
find a way of doing them that's significantly different from what we've
had before?".)

--
ais523