Merry 2014 to you all.  At the end of last year, I got to the stage where a
cross-platform build system seems just 'round the corner, and that means we
should have a nice easy installer and GUI soon too.  Unfortunately on the
Mac side I've just "upgraded" to Mavericks and have been presented with a
number of problems.  One is that I can't get the screen resolution I
usually use to work, so I am finding it hard to use the computer (the
developer of SwitchResX is being very helpful and hopefully we may have a
fix soon).  The second, AQ-specific problem is that ZQuake won't compile
under Mavericks and ZQCC compiles but then segfaults due to a
string-handling problem.

Now the codebases are very old but they also (to my knowledge) work fine on
Windows so I'm loathe to change anything major at this point.  I've tried
installing gcc-4.2 from home-brew to try compiling with that instead of the
new compiler in Mavericks.  That seems to have helped, in that ZQuake now
complies, but ZQCC still segfaults.  I am looking into why this may be.  It
seems something has changed in the standard library.

I was hoping and expecting to have a stable Mac base to work from to get
the build system up-and-running across both Mac and Windows. This makes
things a lot more complex but I'm sure in time it will be sorted out.  Just
wanted to let you know how it's going.

best regards,

Matthew