Right, some good news: at long last I have a cross-platform build script
working, which means the same code is used to build AQ whether you're on
Mac or Windows.  What happens is that the 'prepare' script should be run,
which will get all the bits together to make an AQ release and put them
into the 'app-staging' directory.  On the Mac this includes compiling the
engine and QuakeC compiler; on Windows you need to do that before you run
the script (which can be done using Visual Studio Express and the supplied
project files).  The cross-platform build script then compiles the QuakeC
code, puts all the AGRIP-developed assets and the launcher into the right
places and downloads the shareware data and mind grid and puts them all
into the 'app-staging' directory.

The clever bit is that the Launcher (as with the build script) are written
in Python, but there's a cool program called cx_Freeze that can 'compile'
Python into a stand-alone Windows exe or Mac application, so you don't need
Python installed to simply download and run the game.  Further, as we're
including the shareware and mind grid data by default (in a manner that I
believe is still compliant with the licences for said materials), all you
will need to do is download and run the launcher.  Only developers will
need to have Python installed.

There are some caveats at the moment, for example, when you first run the
game, a window will pop up asking if it should be allowed through the
firewall.  This can be difficult to navigate to and activate/dismiss.
 Further we need to sort out the interaction between whatever screen reader
you're using and the self-voicing bits of AQ. Also, now I have been able to
test the build and install instructions, I want to go through them again
and ensure they are as clear and simple as possible.

So whilst there are rough edges, I hope to polish these off soon, improve
the build documentation to match the cross-platform build process (it's
nearly there but could be shorter and clearer) and then finally we should
have parity between Mac and Windows.  And maybe, in future, we can look at
supporting Linux again then too.  But before that I'd like to work on
making LDL part of the whole package, as I believe that's now the main
attraction of AQ.  And I do hope to update the documentation for developers
so you can, at long last, take this into your own hands and do with it (or
not) as you will.  It's been an excruciatingly long time coming (for me
very-much included), but I hope that will finally be able to happen.

best regards,

Matthew

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/agrip-project/c849f092-3e37-4962-8a7e-b4bc100f3200%40googlegroups.com.