Hi, just a very quick update.  I have managed to fix (at least temporarily,
enough to make a release soon) the string-handling problems on Mavericks.
 They were caused by extra robustness checks when dealing with strings,
which are kind-of a good idea, but will take some time to sort out properly
so for now I have disabled the checks (this code has been robust for many
years without them, and if there is sufficient demand for LDL and AQ after
the next release then I may go back and fix properly, otherwise, nothing
lost!)

Unfortunately then after fixing that one at last, an apparent bug in
Mavericks surfaced and the engine crashed again.  This second bug was one
in the graphics stuff, which is very scary, but fortunately I managed to
find the solution as another 3D game project had encountered the same
issue.  I've tried the fix and it works and I can now compile and run
ZQuake on the Mac.  It is delicate and I need to properly integrate the fix
into the code, but it is a relief to see it running.

With respect to Windows, as soon as I've got a robust version of the engine
on the Mac I'll check to ensure it still is in Windows.  I can then finally
sort out the build system (which now works the same on both platforms) and
we can make a release of AQ for modern Windows and Mac systems.  The
"final" step as far as I'm concerned is to include LDL in this bundle, so
that it's very easy to start making your own 3D levels.  Maybe if enough
people start using LDL, we can work on making LDL easier to use (natural
language instead of XML) but that's for the future.

So anyone who's still out there -- we're still trying to support this, and
are getting closer!

bye just now,
take care,

Matthew