Dear Chaosheng,

> Thanks. I think the sampling density is good enough to reveal the spatial
> structure, and the extreme samples are located within the "hot spots". The
> problem is that the few values are still extremely high within the "hot
> spots". This may be what the "nugget effect" means.
>
> I'm just wondering if these few extreme values should really be
> "discarded"/
> "censored" or replaced. However, this could get some criticism as they may
> be "real".

Is it possible, in your opinion, to model your variogram excluding those few
extremes data and after to krige all data, included the extremes values?
In this way, probably, you loose some spatial information concerning the
variability of your data but you could obtain a more reliable picture of the
"background" values. It depends from what you are asking to your data.
What you, or somebody else, think about?

regards
Claudio

-----------------------------

Claudio Cocheo
Fondazione Salvatore Maugeri - IRCCS
Centro di Ricerche Ambientali
via Svizzera, 16
I 35127 - Padova
ph. (39) 0498064511
fax (39) 0498064555
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
website: http://www.fsm.it

* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful