Dear Syed, et al.,

I did much of what you described in the GRASS GIS a while back. (GRASS
is public domain, not commercial, but it is a very good GIS.) The title
of the paper is "Visualizing Spatial Data Uncertainty Using Animation"
and a copy of it is located at:

http://www.geo.hunter.cuny.edu/~chuck/CGFinal/paper.htm

The special issue of Computers & Geosciences (Vol. 23, No. 4, pp.
387-395, 1997) included a CD-ROM that contained some of the animations
in MPEG form. My web site includes the animations and instructions on
how to construct them.

I used spherical interpolation to generate smooth transitions between
realizations in order to keep the interpolations valid statistically.

I have a more recent work that studies user perception of animated maps
representing data and application uncertainty. An outline of that work
from a conference presentation (with all equations and animations) is
available at:

http://www.geo.hunter.cuny.edu/~chuck/GIScience2000/paper.html

The full paper is about to head out for peer review.

sincerely, chuck

--
Chuck Ehlschlaeger              N 40 46' 07.7", W 73 57' 54.4"
Dep. of Geography              212-772-5321, fax: 212-772-5268

* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful