R is a wonderful suggestion. Look at http://cran.r-project.org/
 I would sugest to start with: gstat, geoR, geoRglm, GeoXp, sgeostat,
spbayes, sp and spatstat. But i am sure there are other packages that deal
with spatial statistics and kriging.

R is the open source for S-PLUS and it is comparable with Matlab.

Hope this helps,

Monica

====================================
Monica Palaseanu-Lovejoy, PhD
US Geological Survey
Florida Integrated Science Center
Jacobs Technology
600 4th Street South
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Ph: 727-803-8747 x 3068
Fx: 727-803-2031
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
====================================

Isobel Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
12/24/2007 04:19 PM
Please respond to
Isobel Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Adrián Martínez Vargas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, ai-geostats@jrc.it
cc

Subject
Re: AI-GEOSTATS: New geostatistical open source software

Have you looked at R? It is free and designed for statistical analysis.

Isobel

Adrián Martínez Vargas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello List

I?m interesting to open a project for build a geostatistical open source
software, with this criteria:
a)      extreme simple code
b)      Math is most important, graphic is secondary.
c)      Modular, as GSLIB, to make easy changes.
d)      Star with basic (variograms and kriging)
e)      End with advanced (plurigaussian, DK, or yours on methods)
f)        This item is for your advice?

The question is what do you prefer for programming

Matlab: is really easy, but it is not free? (I hope the code is free, the
you can compile executable or c code in an institution with matlab
license?)

C, C++, know for a lot of peoples, bunt not as simple as programmers says.
The advantage is that exist a lot of free compilers and toolkits as QT,
glade, Visual studio C++, etc. there is also a lot of preprogramming
algorithms?

Python, it is really easy, and simple, it is possible to do also GUI with
QT python, is platform free and interpreted language (you roon directly de
source code, the system: windows, linux, etc. doesn?t matter )

Other really easy programming languages can be used, as visual basic, but
it is only for windows?

Fortran is obsolete.

TCL or Visual TCL, It is interpreted language as Python, but too slow, it
is really useful to build GUIs.

My Idea is make a GUI with visual TCL and make separate executables, as in
GSLIB,  with matlab (compiled), or use C++ for math?

Finally, I was trying to play with SGEMS, but it is not as simple as it
look?

What is your advice?

Dr. Adrian Martínez Vargas
Revista Minería y Geología (Editor Principal)
ISMM, Las Coloradas, s/n
Moa, Holguín,
Cuba
CP. 83329