Just a couple of comments.

1.) R has been my main programming language for a number of years now. I am
involved with a mix of enivronmental tasks--statsitcs, geostatsitcs, site
characterization, fate and transport, risk assessment. It is powerful,
accessible and one can be productive very quickly. So much high-level
functionality is already built into it, it is multi-platform and has production
quality graphics. Oh yes, database connectivity is supurb.

I have not grown comfortable the the geostats packages--certainly I have used
parts of several of them. Sometime back noticed different variograms from one
of the packages--sorry can't remember--and GEOEAS, It was nothing major, just
one used the mid-point distance in the lags and the other used the average lag
difference. Looking--quickly I admit--at the R-package's documentation it was
clear that no discussion was there. That left me wondering how many other
'little decisions' are wired into the package(s). Still I use them, but with
caution. A standard R list response applies -- look at the code ;o)

The point here is that