I have no experience in your setup nor akka.

But I worked in a team using:

ASP.NET MVC (Web API? I don't remember, no SignalR in those days), Azure
Queue, Azure Worker
for a turn-based game, with real-time action (not a chess-by-email)

My experience:
Latency counts (and Azure Queues was part of the equation)

For play moves, we switch to something more light (at the end term, we uses
node.js in azure, to process game plys, browser talking directly to the
that game server). The above disposition (using Azure Queues, Azure
Workers, in your case, Akka actors) was adopted for inventory purpose,
money transfer, join players in a new game board, etc.. But not to attend
plys (the move of each gamer)

It was a game developed 3/4 years ago. Maybe now, you have better response.

Angel "Java" Lopez
@ajlopez