On 06.05.14 06:56, Matthew Howard wrote:
Our design is still a bit young, but we're going with a work pulling pattern right now... which is something that has worked well for me in the past (this is my first Akka impl though). In terms of the overall approach of using a queue/datastore effectively as a replacement for a mailbox (or implementing your own mailbox backed by a data store) it seems like a valid design to me if you need durable messaging (or just need messaging across heterogeneous systems). It obviously adds the communication/serialization overhead to every message, but really any durable message is going to have the same overhead, so in terms of it being too heavyweight I don't think I'd worry unless very high throughput was a real priority. In that case though there are no great options if you also want the durability... but that is where distributed data stores or queues can help - if you can scale out your datastore and consumers then you can get throughput even on durable messages.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were also some good options using Akka alone. On top of my large queue concerns with Rabbit I didn't particularly feel like adding another component into the mix if I didn't need to. I wouldn't be shocked if you could do something pretty cleanly with just akka persistence. I haven't looked into the new akka streams but that provides some pretty nice looking flow control you might be able to use.

You may be interested in this pull request <https://github.com/akka/akka/pull/15036> that enables reading from akka-persistence journals via reactive-stream producers.

I'd be interested to hear some Akka-oriented options from the crew out there.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Akka User List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to akka-user+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:akka-user+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to akka-user@googlegroups.com <mailto:akka-user@googlegroups.com>.

Martin Krasser

blog:    http://krasserm.blogspot.com
code:    http://github.com/krasserm
twitter: http://twitter.com/mrt1nz