On 11/29/06, Ken1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ok, can anybody indicate an algorithm that would verify if there exists
> a set of k independent vertices in a graph ?

If you are talking about the decision problem -
"Does there exist an independent set of size k in the graph?"
As already mentioned, this problem is NP-Complete.

For proving the correctness of a given solution:
Given G = {V,E}, and a set of vertices S (possible soution), we have
to find out whether the given set of vertices is an independent set.

for each vertex u in S
   for each vertex v in {S \ u}
      if edge uv belongs to E
         return FALSE;
return TRUE;

Hope this helps.
nilesh

--
And ye shall know the truth (source) and the truth shall set you free.