ok koushik let me explain my problem clearly.....

my requirement is that i have a paragraph where i have to enclose each
occurrence selected words between the tags <mark> and </mark>...
usually i have more than one word to be enclosed between the tags...
rest of the words should not be affected and the tags should not get
overlapped or mixed up..... linearly searching through the paragraph
for words and tagging them would not work obviously......