On Jun 2, 4:59 pm, Vasant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> As the subject line specifies, am trying to compute the area of
> overlap between two rectangles that can have any arbitrary
> orientation. I plan to go about this by finding vertices of Rectangle1
> contained in Rectangle2 and vice versa. Then, I will find the points
> of intersection between the rectangles. Finally, I intend to compute
> areas of individual triangles from a source vertex and add them to
> calculate the final area of intersection.
>
> I wanted to know if there is an easier way of doing this. Any pointer
> to a more effective method (if any) will be very useful.

There exist well-known, wonderful fast algorithms to compute the
intersection of two arbitrary polygons.  There exist wonderful well-
known algorithms for finding the area of an arbitrary polygon.
Combine, stir well, enjoy.

Note: "Oriented rectangles" usually means with edges parallel to
axes.  Yet in your text you say the rectangles are of arbitrary
orientation.  Of course for the former case there are vast
simplifications.