That was joke? I never heard of any dancing links :)

the algorithm in more detail
let the grid by n rows m columns

covered[n][m]=0

go(x,y) {
   if(y==n) return 1;
   if(x==m) return go(0,y+1);
   if(covered[y][x]) return go(x+1,y);
   now consider all  rotations of all remaining pentominoes.
   Each have unique top most and then leftmost pixel. {
     try if pentomino does not intersects with cowered array
     if(no) {
        fill covered
        remove pentomino from remainning set
        return value+=go(x+1,y);
        undo steps above
        //maybe here is possibility to increase algorithm  speed by using
some links to next uncovered  tiles

     }
     move consideration to next type of pentomin

public static int main(wtf ...) {
  go(0,0);

}
there is one to one corespondency between solutions and vectors of subsets
of permutations of used pentominos+rotations, and the algorithm never
generates the same vector twice