we need to find no. of permutations of abcxyz s.t a<b<c and x<y<z.

@Rahul : If you want to solve it as a P&C problem, here is the approach :

ignoring these conditions a<b<c and x<y<z, no. of permutations using abcxyz
= 6!
Now let's handle a<b<c case. in these 6 ! combinations, abc can come in any
of these below orders
1) abc
2) acb
3) bac
4) bca
5) cab
6) cba

But we need the abc case (a<b<c) So we need 1 out of these 6 combinations -
(1/6)
So assuming all the permutations are uniform, total permutations are  6! X
(1/6)  --- here only this case is taken(a<b<c)
now similarly for x<y<z also 1/6 combinations are possible.
so total is 6! X 1/6 X 1/6

so if the questions is a< b or c and y< x < z
Ans is :
a < b or c = abc & acb - 2 cases out of 6 satisfy.
y<x<z = yxz - 1 out 6
And the answer will be : 6! X (2/6) X (1/6)

-Cheers