Also, vectors are not contiguously memory slotted "always". Its a expanding
array where the resizing takes place on demand. There are times when the
array backing the vector is resized and re-allocated, but even then the
amortized cost of insertion stays linear (O(n)).  Although it makes sense
to think that since all the microprocessor requires to do is an
index*datasize calculation in case of an array or a vector, it would be
interesting to note what happens to the execution runtime of two-way
sequential access when there are frequent
insertion-deletion-sequential-access cycles. My guess is that since there
would be frequent insertions, that would trigger a vector doubling
frequently (which translates to resizing and reallocation, an expensive
operation). I guess if the application does frequent random insertions and
random deletions and then looks for sequential accesses, DLL can beat
vector.