Wondering if audacity has multiple tracks? Would it make a good alternate choice as an editor?  Thanks.

Howard

On 4/6/2024 9:15 AM, DAVID wrote:
Hi.
I like using gold wave but where can I get some vst effect plugin  from

-----Original Message-----
From: all-audio@groups.io <all-audio@groups.io> On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Saturday, April 6, 2024 3:43 AM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [all-audio] Goldwave or Reaper Accessibility, and beginner
friendliness as a DAW?

Hello.

The two programmes are not exactly equivalents. Reaper is much more difficult
to use, but it's also a more versatile programme that is a fully fledged
multi-track recorder, editor, and you can even use it to drive soft synths and
do midi. So it al depends on what it is you want to do. Reaper is more
demanding and pretty  much assumes you have good audio hardware right out of
the box. It works with aseo (sp) and Goldwave doesn't, but that also means, if
you use a screen-reader, it's bestif it is on its own  audio output in windows.
Goldwave is a great programme that can do all sorts of audio processing -- one
track at a time. It's not really made for music production. But it can still
use vst effect plugins. I have used it for ages. Unfortunately I have had some
trouble with the latest versions, first with a keyboard command glitch (I
consider it a problem because even though there's a solution it's not really
documented anywhere I can see), and dictation mode, which I use a fair bit, not
working. Still, you can get an older version if you want.
As for usability with a screen-reader, they both are, but you will certainly
have to take some time to study up, read documentation and so on. It'll be more
of a long haul with reaper for sure, so if you are just starting out and not
going to work with music production or midi stuff, I would think goldwave would
be an excellent tool. There's also audacity of course, which is kind of
somewhere in between Goldwave and Reaper in terms of its' abilities. It has a
weird interface that I think isn't much like most daw software, but that could
actually be an advantage if you can't see the screen and haven't used any other
ones.