well i acutally did try it:
lspci -n
00:1f.5 class 0401 :8086:2445 (rev 11)

it shoudnt be this       ^^^^ ?

lspci -vv

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82820 820 (Camino 2) Chipset
AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 11)
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info System: Unknown device 0002

...which is quite misleading...since is the same result i have on another
machine with an intel audio chips which is working fine with intel8x10...
so just in case i compiled the intel...

        marco

On  Sunday, 02 December 2001 14:41:26 Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
>    On Sun, 2 Dec 2001, marco trevisani wrote:
>       >
>    > Hi all,
>    >
>    > Is there a way to get or detect a card ID a part for
>    > 1- asking to yamaha
>    > 2- dismantelling the computer with the hope to find something helpfull
>    printed
>    > on the chip
>    > 3- Dowload useless specs from yamaha (done)
>    > ???
>    >
>    > Since my question might sound really stupid...
>    >
>    > how can i get the following id for the 753???
>    > { 0x1073, 0x0012, PCI_ANY_ID, PCI_ANY_ID, 0, 0, 0, },   /* YMF754 */
>    >             ^^^^^^
>    > (the two cards do not appear to be _tragically_ differents...so there
>    are good
>    > chances to get it to work with minor adjustemts. Does ymfpci support
>    digital
>    > output on 754 -optical i mean-?)
>    > any clue?
>       Try 'lspci -vv'.
>                                                       Jaroslav
>       -----
>    Jaroslav Kysela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>    SuSE Linux    http://www.suse.com
>    ALSA Project  http://www.alsa-project.org

      marco trevisani   (to get the real email address take out "__")
email________________:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web________________:  http://trevisani.mine.nu
      DeMuDi -- Debian Multimedia Distribution
demudi email_________:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]              demudi
web__________:  http://www.demudi.org
      Digital Arts Festivals. Calls and reports <--NEW!!
D-Festival Web______:  http://festivals.webhop.org