On Fri, 2002-04-05 at 04:00, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> I would post the source code of your current driver somewhere (URL).

If you still think so after reading this mail (especially license stuff
at end of mail), I could post a diff somewehere.

> If the set top box uses the AC97-Controller, alsa09 might already have a
> sound driver for it, but someone might need to add an extra bit of card
> recognition code to get it to work.

It uses the internal AC97-controller of the SC1200 processor
(XpressAUDIO - PCI device 100b:0503). I didn't find anything like that
in the 0.9 code when I browsed through it. The driver also incorporates
some MIDI stuff and such.

> Also, if you can post to a URL any documents about the set-top-box,
> which would make it easier for people to help you. We might be able to
> recognise which of the current drivers is closest to it from that.

Well - I'm _paid_ to write these drivers :)

National puts "Confidential" notices on all their documentation, so I
don't think it would be a good idea to post those...

And since our box is not quite on the market yet, I think my managers
might not like me releasing too much specs.

So what I can say is about this:

The audio controller is described pretty well in this message I located
on google:
http://www.alsa-project.org/archive/alsa-howto/msg00312.html

Different revisions of the box use CS4299 or CS4205 codecs.

> It would probably be better to get support for the set top box into the
> publically available version of alsa09, so that it will be kept up to
> date with any other changes which might happen in alsa without you
> having to worry about it.

I definitely agree with you about this, however Nationals driver has
some weird "BSD with export restrictions" license attached to it.

Personally I think they should release the code under GPL so that it can
be integrated with the main project, and I will try to convince them to
do so - but for now I simply don't have time to wait for that.

To clarify myself: what I really need right now is some hints about what
differs between 0.5 and 0.9 from the driver(programmer)s point of view.

regards
        /
                Leif