I like it a lot. Due to the prefix I was able to cleanly remove 0.5.x from my
system, and we might want to do that later on with 0.9, too :)

And since I don't see any benefit in removing the prefix - other than cosmetic -
keeping it will save time for distribution's programmers, sysadmins, writers,
etc. to update their setup routines, configs, howtos, etc. :)

Florian

Takashi Iwai wrote:

> Hi,
>
> so far, all alsa modules use snd_ prefix for each module option.
> iirc, there was a problem regarding namespace at the time of 2.0
> kernel, and this was some workaround to avoid confliction.
> but 2.2 and later kernels have no such a problem at all.
>
> so, i'd like to ask you how do you think to remove this snd_ prefix.
> of course, there is one and only big problem - compatibility!
>
> the questions are
>
> - whether we should really do it or not?  is it worthy?
>
> and
>
> - when? now or after 0.9.0-final release?
>
> opinions, please?
>
> Takashi

Florian Bomers
Java Sound