Jack O'Quin wrote:

> (...)
> I don't mean to single out Peter for this one statement.  But, I am
> totally frustrated with the attitude that ALSA is only for power users
> and that it's OK to introduce spurious incompatibilities on a whim.

We'd all be happy if ALSA was already a finalized API and finalized
implementation, established, proven, "mainstream", etc. But it's not! So if you
want it or not, at the moment ALSA 0.9 is NOT meant for mainstream, because it
IS still in development!

> The excuse that 0.9 is not a "release" is wearing thin these days.
> Since 0.5, which *is* a release, is "no longer supported", what are
> ordinary users expected to run?  OSS?

You claim any responsibility of the ALSA developers for linux users. They have
not! This is open source. And I don't see what's wrong with using 0.5 until 0.9
is released.

Florian

> ALSA is part of the 2.5 kernel now.  It is mainstream Linux software,
> good technology, needed by many users.  Isn't it about time to start
> thinking and acting that way?
> --
>   Jack O'Quin
>   Austin, Texas, USA