At 10 Oct 2002 11:11:06 -0500,
Jack O'Quin wrote:

> Peter L Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I think it's not so nice.  Anyone running ALSA 0.9 should know it's
> > not a "release" version and be happy to have (some breakage).  If
> > all that's needed is a quick edit of modules.conf, it shouldn't
> > cause too many power-users grief.  Those using distro upgrade tools
> > should let their distro maintainer sort it out for them.
>
> This whole thread makes no sense to me at all.
>
> Can someone please explain what terrible problem we're trying to solve
> that justifies introducing *any* breakage at all?

good to hear the opossite opinion, too.
the compatibility-breakage should be avoided, of course.

> I don't mean to single out Peter for this one statement.  But, I am
> totally frustrated with the attitude that ALSA is only for power users
> and that it's OK to introduce spurious incompatibilities on a whim.
>
> The excuse that 0.9 is not a "release" is wearing thin these days.
> Since 0.5, which *is* a release, is "no longer supported", what are
> ordinary users expected to run?  OSS?
>
> ALSA is part of the 2.5 kernel now.  It is mainstream Linux software,
> good technology, needed by many users.  Isn't it about time to start
> thinking and acting that way?

this is the very reason why "now" i asked.
since the ALSA is now on the official kernel tree, we must follow to
the standard rules, too.  and the snd_ prefix is obviously ugly from
this perspective.

if we live alone as external, then we don't have to care - we could do
as we like.  but the mainstream means that such exception has to be
excluded, too, at least before 2.5 turns into the "real mainstream",
i.e. 2.6 (or 3.0).

i guess the pain of this change wouldn't be so much once if there is a
converter-script or if the distributor takes care of it.
but, of course, my guess might be wrong, underestimated.