On Wednesday 09 Oct 2002 11:19, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:15:17 +0200,

[snip]

> a convenient method is to check and rewrite /etc/modules.conf
> automatically when alsa-driver is installed.  (btw, in the case of
> debian, do we need to check another path, too?)

Yes.
/etc/modutils/alsa -> /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9
And then run update-modules.

This would normally be done when upgrading the .deb to the new version, so it
shouldn't be something the driver or init.d file should worry about.

(My opinion only...)

> i'm not sure whether it's good manner or not, though.

I think it's not so nice.  Anyone running ALSA 0.9 should know it's not a
"release" version and be happy to have (some breakage).  If all that's needed
is a quick edit of modules.conf, it shouldn't cause too many power-users
grief.  Those using distro upgrade tools should let their distro maintainer
sort it out for them.

I don't think it's an ALSA developer problem.