At Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:06:59 -0400,
Paul Davis wrote:

> >Oh, oh...  oh!  I see!
> >
> >I was feeling the sinking "I'm getting 90% of functionality with Linux
> >because hardware companies don't see the light yet, sigh" and now it's
> >been replaced with the less frequent feeling of "the Linux version does
> >it better.  Yeah!"
>
> although it makes me happy to see you feeling this way, i felt
> compelled to add that i'm not necessarily sure that the linux way *is*
> better. its more flexible, that's true. but the two different
> standards for "input maximum signal level" are just that - standards -
> and the fader to control this makes it much harder to switch between
> the two levels that all of my equipment uses.

that's true - but i'd like to say that it's a design problem of mixer
application, not the whole audio infrastructure.

for my eyes, a good-looking, user-friendly and (still) fully
functional mixer is the biggest missing feature on linux audio.

it's quite hard to achieve a perfect "all-purpose" mixer.
there is no such one on windows nor macos.  each hardware vendor
provides their own mixer application to control their cards fully.

> i'm just nitpicking really, we all love linux, once we get it
> working :)

hehe, working how well? :)