On Friday 14 Nov 2003 13:20, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> as a future plan, we'll define dmix as default for el-cheapo
> soundcards, but e.g. not for sb live, which supports such a function
> on hardware.

And what is your definition of an "el-cheapo" soundcard? :)

I object to this future plan as even users of consumer soundcards do not
necessarily want everything resampled to 48 KHz in software by default with
the inherent sound quality degradations.

> so far, we leave it as user's own configuration, simply because dmix
> had been under development and not quite stable.

From the user's point of view, it is easier to build on the default settings
than to deconstruct them in the asoundrc, thus, dmix should remain a
non-default pcm.