At Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:11:22 +0000,
Mark Hubbard wrote:

> On Friday 14 Nov 2003 13:20, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > as a future plan, we'll define dmix as default for el-cheapo
> > soundcards, but e.g. not for sb live, which supports such a function
> > on hardware.
>
> And what is your definition of an "el-cheapo" soundcard? :)

what requires dmix plugin :)

> I object to this future plan as even users of consumer soundcards do not
> necessarily want everything resampled to 48 KHz in software by default with
> the inherent sound quality degradations.

hmm, we can implement it in a bit more clever way.  for example,
starting dmix with the sample rate of the first running process sets
(with lower boundary, e.g. the rate must be >= 44100).  in 99% time of
typical desktop usage, audio apps run alone, and no conversion will be
necessary.

of course, we need to fix the race condition, etc, to realize that.

> > so far, we leave it as user's own configuration, simply because dmix
> > had been under development and not quite stable.
>
> From the user's point of view, it is easier to build on the default settings
> than to deconstruct them in the asoundrc, thus, dmix should remain a
> non-default pcm.

the question is "which" user is targeted.
most desktop users need simple mixing only: playing mp3 or DVD and
beep.  hence, if the restriction of sampling-rate for a single app is
removed, there would be no big disadvantage to use always dmix.

and, note that we're discussing the "default" behavior.  you can
easily change it by defining your own default in ~/.asoundrc, as well
as you can set dmix for now.

i believe that the "usability" is a keyword to spread the linux
desktop over world.  we're still NOT in the way at all.