I have a compaq laptop presario 700 (706 EA)
Atalon 1Ghz, one DVD Rom and one S3 (savage) video-card something..

> I just got a Compaq 1.2Ghz AMD4, and I have not yet installed
> Linux on it.
>
> Unfortunately, Windows XP is ( cringe ) rather stable and fun to
> use on my laptop and I'm not ready to do battle to bring up
> Linux the way I want.
>
> BUT !  I *WILL* put linux on it as soon as I'm a bit more comfortable
> making sure I can make the DVD, CD/RW work, and Sound.
>
> If you've done this already and have some info that would help me
> out greatly... ?
to install X-windows:
edit /etc/inittab and put on level 3
after a reboot, use Xconfigurator choose a S3Savage (generic) and a generic
laptop display (1024x768) and let Xconfigurator probe , and it will find one
configuation with 24/32 bits depth, (close to the perfect).After this if you
change your keyboard layout edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and in keyboard
layout swap "us" to "pt",for instance
Ethernet works prefectly (is one Realtek (3189too!?)).
modem is an HSF Conexant,so you have to go to
http://www.mbsi.ca/hsflinux   (contains Linux drivers for the Conexant, but
SMP machines are NOT presently supported, that is not my case),and with
kernel-sources, if you downloaad the sources, you just have do : make
instal; hsfconfig.
works very well

the only thing doesnt work is the sound, and without sound its dificult put
dvd movies works isn't it?