On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 14:11:14 +0200
Tom Alsberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi there.
> I've recently replaced my motherboard, to a PC Partner one with the
> VIA Technologies VT82C686 chipset.
> That motherboard has an on-board VIA AC97 sound adapter, and I wanted
> to get it to work.
> I compiled the alsa-driver, alsa-lib, and alsa-utils, and loaded the
> appropriate drivers, including the OSS compatibility modules
> (snd-pcm-pss, snd-mixer-oss, snd-seq-oss). Everything seems to be
> working, except MIDI.
> When I  try to play a MIDI file, e.g. with playmidi or some program
> like that, I get no error message, but I hear no sound either. I tried
> to check all the modules, and I have them loaded (snd-seq-midi,
> snd-seq-oss, snd-seq-midi-event, snd-seq). When I checked the
> alsamixer settings, I don't even see a meter for MIDI there.
> When I try to cat some file into /dev/sequencer, the cat process just
> hangs.
>
> Any idea what the problem might be? I really want to get MIDI working.
>
>   Thank you,
>   -- Tom

In general, playmidi sends a MIDI file to the gameport of your soundcard;
there is a special cable to connect to external MIDI equipment.
(See 'man playmidi' or just type 'playmidi').

There are cards/chipsets with hardware wavetable or FM synthesizer
capabilities but yours does not AFAIK :( Even if your soundcard has
some hardware capabilities these are not neccesarily supported.

Kmidi (a standard KDE application) and Timidity can play MIDI files just
fine by using software emulation. HTH,

    -Frans