Hi there.
I had problems with my mail in the last few days, so I'm reposting
this message. If it arrived already once, I appologize... I didn't see
it on the list as well as any replies to it...
If you have replied already, could you please re-mail your reply to
me, since I haven't got it?

--

Hi there.
I've recently replaced my motherboard, to a PC Partner one with the
VIA Technologies VT82C686 chipset.
That motherboard has an on-board VIA AC97 sound adapter, and I wanted
to get it to work.
I compiled the alsa-driver, alsa-lib, and alsa-utils, and loaded the
appropriate drivers, including the OSS compatibility modules
(snd-pcm-pss, snd-mixer-oss, snd-seq-oss). Everything seems to be
working, except MIDI.
When I  try to play a MIDI file, e.g. with playmidi or some program
like that, I get no error message, but I hear no sound either. I tried
to check all the modules, and I have them loaded (snd-seq-midi,
snd-seq-oss, snd-seq-midi-event, snd-seq). When I checked the
alsamixer settings, I don't even see a meter for MIDI there.
When I try to cat some file into /dev/sequencer, the cat process just
hangs.

Any idea what the problem might be? I really want to get MIDI working.

  Thank you,
  -- Tom

--
  Tom Alsberg - certified insane, complete illiterate.
        e-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>