Hello, I am in war with one sound card in one compaq laptop
series 700 whose have one via686 sound-card.
so last days I try to compile the new kernel 2.5.7, I have some
good improvements for my laptop, now reboot and shutdown in
perfect way,
but before I can do it, I past a little bit.
First  i couldn't boot,  etc...
so as we know alsa is in tree of kernel 2.5.7
so the famous error as IRQ 5 but want work with IRQ 11,was past,
and I can see in kernel logs (var/log/messages),that found the
sound card VIA686A/B in correct IRQ,
but I just can do it, if I compile the kernel without Open
Sound System and in debug mode.
I can put Kmidi work and show the leds up and down.
but no sound at all.
I had umute all devices.
I will do more tests and i will tell what is happening.

Sérgio Monteiro Basto