Tom McLaughlin wrote:

<description of speaker setup>

> To get the rear speakers working I went into the kernel source
> directory, did a make xconfig, and under sound changed the number of
> speakers for the 8738 from 2 to 6.

Unless your dealing with the 2.5.x development kernels, this sounds very
much as though you are dealing with the oss/free modules included in the
kernel and not the alsa drivers at all. When compiling the alsa drivers
the only module you need to build in the actual kernel is soundcore. You
then need to compile and install the alsa drivers seperately from the
kernel compilation. Please read the INSTALL file included with the
alsa-driver source.

> Thanks,
> Tom
>
> PS  Is there a non Alsa driver for this card too?

see above. It seems that you are actually using the non-Alsa driver.

>  And if so, how do I
> make sure I'm using the Alsa driver and not the other one.  I have Alsa
> installed and it gets compiled during the kernel compile.

Again, this doesn't make sense unless you're working with a 2.5.x
development kernel.

> I also used
> the init script in init.d and gave it the status option and it returned
> a msg that it was running.  It's just that in my search for help I seem
> to be finding different drivers here and there, the Alsa one and the
> linux one from C-Media.

Is it possible that you have the C-Media supplied driver installed
concurrently with the alsa driver?

-Eric Rz.