It's usually just warnings, but when I get to opl3_seq I get a lot of error
messages about missing structure members.  The documentation on the Alsa web
site is worthless.

DITTO

I have a new ML9 install and also attempted to recompile Alsa to solve a sound problem. The effort was very frustrating and I eventually stopped attempting the upversion.

I guess that "release candidate" software should be expected to have some rough edges, but these edges are rough and sharp. The developers must have a configuration that avoids the pitfalls. Perhaps a brief explanation of the proper configuration required to compile release candidate versions would be in order. This way, unless you have the proper kernel and setup, a person and avoid the frustration.

Kyle