Ken Arromdee wrote:

I just installed Mandrake 9 on a new hard drive. This includes Alsa 0.9.0rc2.
I'm getting sound problems when playing DVDs through Xine (whenever the drive
light is on, the sound wobbles) and I want to compile the same version of Alsa
I used to have (0.9.0 beta 10) to see whether that fixes the problem.

Since Alsa's in the kernel, I have various header files and such lying
around, that aren't for the version I want to compile. What do I have to do
to make a different version? I moved /usr/src/linux/include/sound away, and
I fixed a configure problem (configure wasn't testing the kernel version
properly), but that doesn't seem to be enough; I get lots of variations on the
following:

Alsa is not in my kernel, OSS is.
Did you patch your kernel?
Compile "Sound" as a module with no drivers.
After you've rebooted, compile Alsa.
Then do "insmod soundcore" and "insmode snd-xxxx" where xxxx is your soundcard.
Works fine for me that way.

/usr/src/linux/include/linux/modules/util_mem.ver:40:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from ../../sound/sndversions.h:32,
from ../../sound/driver.h:67,
from ../../sound/opl3.h:54,
from opl3_voice.h:22,
from opl3_seq.c:26:
../../sound/modules/util_mem.ver:11:1: warning: "__ver___snd_util_mem_alloc" redefined
In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h:345,
from ../../sound/driver.h:66,
from ../../sound/opl3.h:54,
from opl3_voice.h:22,
from opl3_seq.c:26:

It's usually just warnings, but when I get to opl3_seq I get a lot of error
messages about missing structure members. The documentation on the Alsa web
site is worthless.