On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, Frans Ketelaars wrote:
[deleted]

Thanks for the advice.  I did manage to do it before reading your message, but
if you're wondering what I did....

To remove all the warnings I went in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modules and
deleted all the Alsa-related .ver files, then did a make dep in
/usr/src/linux to recreate modversion.h.

Most of my other problems happened because I was intentionally trying to
compile an earlier version of Alsa.  autoconf.h undefines CONFIG_SND_whatever
and defines CONFIG_SND_whatever_MODULE, which is okay now, but doesn't work in
earlier versions and causes a lot of obscure problems including my opl3
compile error.  Solution: manually edit autoconf.h to take out all the Alsa
stuff.

Anyway, it didn't help me.  Alsa 0.9.0 beta 10, rc2, and rc6 all caused the
same sound problem.  All I can think of is that there might be some obscure
kernel problem, something far out of my expertise.  I did try temporarily
plugging in my old hard drive.  Sound was fine when I booted from there....