At Mon, 25 Nov 2002 00:05:57 +0100,
Christian Tramnitz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm just trying to setup my cmi8738 card in my home-brewn digital video
> recorder (VDR).
> Because there a lot of options how/what comes in (e.g. AC3 over SPDIF-in
> live, AC3 on playback, Stereo/Mono over SPDIF-in live and finally
> Stereo/Mono on playback) I was playing around with different drivers for
> a few days now.
>
> I first started with the kernel driver (cmpci) which worked fine for
> pass-through (live modes were working using SPDIF loop, but only stereo
> no AC3) but I could not play *anything* generated from the driver
> itself.
>
> Then I decided to switch to alsa and got the latest driver, libs, utils,
> tool, oss-compat stuff.
> Compiled, installed (what a mess with the old *_snd stuff!) and ... now
> it's the other way around:
> I can play whatever sound over SPDIF-out and if it's AC3 (got some Dolby
> Digital vob-Trailer) my external receives recognizes that.
> But now I can't get the stuff that comes from SPDIF-IN, already tried
> some mixer settings, even loop-mode (which I think would break my
> playback again) does not work....

which chip model are you using?  the model number is shown
/proc/asound/cards.  cmipci chip behaves a bit differently depending
on the chip model.

anyway, i guess it's a mixer config problem.
to check the input signals from spdif-in, it's easy to use "monitor".
turn on "IEC958 In Monitor" switch via your mixer program
(e.g. alsamixer).
turn off "IEC958 In Phase Inverse", and choose the correct slot from
"IEC958 In Select".

to record the spdif input, you need to use the second pcm device, e.g.

        % arecord -Dhw:0,2 -fcd foo.wav

for details, please check alsa-kernel/Documentation/CMIPCI.txt.

Takashi