Takashi,

>which chip model are you using?  the model number is shown
>/proc/asound/cards.  cmipci chip behaves a bit differently
>depending on the chip model.

Its model 55:
# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [CMI8738MC6     ]: CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6
                     C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6 (model 55) at 0xe000, irq
10

>anyway, i guess it's a mixer config problem.
>to check the input signals from spdif-in, it's easy to use "monitor".
>turn on "IEC958 In Monitor" switch via your mixer program (e.g.
alsamixer).
>turn off "IEC958 In Phase Inverse", and choose the correct slot from
"IEC958 In Select".

Tried that, now I get the sound which comes through SPDIF-In via
Loop-mode, but that was not the goal ;-)
Still will all possible options for In Select/Monitor/Phase Inverse I do
not get a signal when not in loop-mode

>to record the spdif input, you need to use the second pcm device, e.g.
>       % arecord -Dhw:0,2 -fcd foo.wav

Tried that, just got nothing...

>for details, please check alsa-kernel/Documentation/CMIPCI.txt.

Looks very useful in general, but didnt help me further... Any
suggestions ?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
  Christian