Just installed a Creative Soundblaster PCI 16 using the ensonic 1371 driver. BTW, linuxconf says this is a CT5880.

I'm having some problems... it could be due to the fact that I have removed an older GUS card from the machine. Could it be that there are old init files hanging around? Anyway, here's the snip from my modules.conf:

# ALSA native device support
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371

# OSS/Free setup
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

If I try use the alsamixer, amixer or even xmms I get the same error message:

bob$: alsamixer
alsamixer: simple.c:869: simple_add1: Assertion `!simple->ctls[type].elem' failed.
Aborted

bob$ xmms
xmms: simple.c:869: simple_add1: Assertion `!simple->ctls[type].elem' failed.
Aborted

I do think the board is properly installed, etc. since it will play midi files to my external synth using pmidi or xplaymidi.

Ideas?

EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: http://www.kootenay.com/~bvdpoel