On 27 Feb 2003, Brad Hilton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can someone tell me if it's possible to remap the 'default' alsa device
> to actually use a plugin?
>
> I am trying to experiment with the new dmix plugin, and would like to
> make all of my alsa audio apps use it by default.  Unfortunately, I
> haven't been able to pass "plug:dmix" successfully to the various apps,
> so I was hoping to transparently remap things with asoundrc.
>
> Any tips would be appreciated, or a sample .asoundrc.

============== CUT HERE ===============
# override pcm.default definition from /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf
pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "dmix"
}

Note: The plugin dmix has the default rate 48000Hz. If you want to play
mainly CDs then set the rate to 44100Hz (replace "dmix" with "dmix:RATE=44100").

                                                Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer