Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
On 27 Feb 2003, Brad Hilton wrote:
Can someone tell me if it's possible to remap the 'default' alsa device
to actually use a plugin?

============== CUT HERE ===============
# override pcm.default definition from /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf
pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "dmix"
}

Note: The plugin dmix has the default rate 48000Hz. If you want to play mainly CDs then set the rate to 44100Hz (replace "dmix" with "dmix:RATE=44100").

Perfect, thanks!

I do notice that sound is only coming out of my left speaker when using the dmix plugin. If I toggle things back and forth:

aplay -D hw:0,0 <some_file>

aplay -D plug:dmix <some_file>

it goes from stereo sound to left speaker only. Is this just a result of the dmix plugin's experimental nature? Is there any other info I can provide that might be helpful?

Thanks again,
-Brad